At my last project we decided to all do the StrengthsFinder test to identify the different strengths that we have in our team and how to best utilise them. StrengthsFinder tries to help you on improving on your strengths, rather than focusing on your weaknesses.
I got the following top 5:
- People who are especially talented in restorative are adept at dealing with problems. They are good at figuring out what is wrong and resolving it.
- People who are especially talented in the Input theme have a craving to know more. Often they like to collect and archive all kinds of info.
- People who are especially talented in Strategic theme create alternative ways to proceed. Faced with any given scenario, they can spot relevant patterns and issues.
- People who are especially talented in the Relator theme enjoy a close relationship with others.
- People who are especially talented in the Learner theme have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excited them.
StrengthsFinder also gives individual feedback and a huge list of suggested actions. I’ve decided to try and focus on a few of these in the coming months and see how I progress. These are:
- Study chosen subject carefully to identify recurring programs.
- Input without output leads to stagnation. Share knowledge.
- Schedule time to read.
- No matter how busy, stay in contact with friends.
- Refine how you learn (Learning by teaching?)
- Track progress of learning, and celebrate learning.
Lets see how I progress with these in the coming months :-)